SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WAND) — A proposal heading to Gov. JB Pritzker's desk could help address high-risk speeders across the state.
Sponsors and advocates hope to create an intelligent speed assistance program within the Secretary of State's office as an alternative to license suspension for dangerous drivers.
The bill requires drivers who commit two offenses within a year to install the speed limiting device in their vehicle. This comes as 75% of people with suspended licenses continue to drive.
"Driving recklessly puts everyone on the road at risk of being involved in an accident," said Sen. Julie Morrison (D-Lake Forest). "We need to continue our efforts to ensure high-risk drivers do not put others in danger."
The Secretary of State would notify drivers their license will be suspended until they complete the program. Participants will also pay $30 per month to use the speed limiting device.
"A bill which allows people to go to work, avoid a suspended license on a volunteer basis and pay for it is something that I encourage an aye vote for," said Sen. Seth Lewis (R-Carol Stream).
House Bill 4948 passed out of the Senate Wednesday on a 49-9 vote. It previously received a 77-24 vote in the House with one representative voting present.Â
Families for Safe Streets said Wednesday's vote is a powerful acknowledgement that Illinois can no longer accept preventable roadway deaths as inevitable. Founder and President Amy Cohen's 12-year-old son was killed by a speeding driver.
"For too long, families like mine have been forced to live with the consequences of a system that has failed to stop repeat dangerous drivers," Cohen said. "This is a focused, life-saving intervention aimed at the most dangerous drivers on our roads - the repeat offenders who continue to put every family at risk."Â
Copyright 2026. WAND TV. All rights reserved.